Donald Trump’s impeachment saga came to an end as the Senate acquitted him of the charges. 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed was sentenced for terror funding. In the Delhi Assembly elections, Aam Aadmi Party received 62 seats and formed majority. Supreme Court of India pronounced that the State has the autonomy to decide upon reservation in government jobs, given it has data to substantiate the under-representation of that particular class. India’s Principal Economic Advisor Sanjeev Sanyal, at a talk at Gujarat University, retold the story of Indian freedom struggle from the viewpoint of the less-discussed armed revolutionaries. Have a quick roundup of what happened in India and across the globe by clicking the top stories of the week:
- End To Impeachment Saga Of Donald Trump – After US President Donald Trump was impeached in December 2019 on the charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress; he was found not guilty in his impeachment trial with the final vote of 48-52.
- Apex Court Rules Job Reservation Not A Fundamental Right – Supreme Court in a decisive judgment announced that the State has the discretion of deciding upon reservation, given it has substantiating data. It pronounced that Job Promotions are not a fundamental right.
- Exclusive: Retelling Of Indian History By Sanjeev Sanyal – At a talk at Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, India’s Principal Economic Advisor, Sanjeev Sanyal spoke about the buried history of Indian revolutionaries whose contribution to the freedom struggle is often overlooked.
- AAP’s Hattrick As It Sweeps Delhi Again – In the recently concluded Delhi elections, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) secured majority with 62 seats, whereas the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) secured the remaining 8 seats. CM Arvind Kejriwal will continue to be at the helm of National Capital.
- Ahead Of FATF Meet, Hafiz Saeed Sentenced For 11 Years For Terror Funding – LeT founder Hafiz Saeed has been convicted by Pakistan’s court under 2 cases of terror funding registered by the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) and has been sentenced to Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat jail for 11 years.