Proposal to WFH
With the parliamentary affairs ministry putting a proposal for WFH, the Indian government has sought out a virtual private network to carry out the same. However, WFH may have a heightened threat of cyber attacks. Sensitive information could be leaked, posing a threat to national security. Thus, the government is looking for multi-factor authentication, malware protection, and end-to-end security features to be ensured.
Moreover, the National Informatics Centre and Home Ministry said that no classified documents will be allowed to be accessed during WFH. It is likely that the Finance Ministry will have to bear the burden of buying new laptops and internet services charges. It is expected that decision regarding WFH will be finalized by the end of this month.
Rajya Sabha Election
Rajya Sabha (RS) by-elections for 24 seats will be held on 19 June. Of them, 18 seats are from the elections which were deferred due to lockdown, and the rest of them vacated in June and July.
4 RS seats each from Andhra Pradesh, Gujarat and Karnataka, 3 each from Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh, 2 from Jharkhand, and 1 seat each from Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, and Mizoram.
- Total 250 seats in RS
- 238 members elected by MLAs of various States and UTs
- 12 members nominated by the President
- A permanent elected member serves for 6 years
- One-third Members of RS retire after every second year
- An RS member is indirectly elected by members of the Legislative Assembly of that State and by the members of the Electoral College for a UT
- By-elections: The election held to fill a vacancy of members arising by any means before the expiration of their term of office
- The elected member in by-election serves for the remaining term of the member whose the seat is filled