Recent incidents at nuclear sites in Iran have added further strain to its relations with Israel, with the two being in conflict for decades.
Crux of the Matter
Iran – Nuclear Site Incidents
An explosion occurred recently at the Natanz nuclear centre in Iran. The incidents follow recent explosions at missile production sites, located near the Parchin military complex. Experts have claimed the attacks as “sabotages” and have blamed Israel. However, Israel has denied the claims.
Not every incident that transpires in Iran necessarily has something to do with us. All those systems are complex, they have very high safety constraints and I’m not sure they always know how to maintain themBenny Gantz, Defence Minister, Israel
Israel and US Apprehension
Analysts have claimed that Israel attacked the nuclear sites of Iran to hinder its nuclear development programme. The claim connects to the history of Israel, as the country and the US consider Iran’s nuclear development a threat. Starting in the 1st decade of the 21st century, the US and Israel reportedly carried on Operation Olympic Games for several years, launching cyber-attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities.
Retaliation Over Water
Another reason being claimed by analysts is that Israel retaliated after Iran reportedly launched a cyberattack in April to contaminate Israel’s water supply.
Several experts have claimed the animosity between Israel and China as a possible cause of the incident. They have claimed that since Iran uses the JY-14 radar system made by China, Israel used its F-35 jets to test and possibly demonstrate strength against the Chinese equipment.
History Of Iran-Israel
- Initially, both countries shared a cordial relationship. After Turkey, Iran was the 2nd Muslim majority country to recognize Israel as a sovereign nation.
- Relations deteriorated in 1979 when the Iranian revolution occurred. New leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini broke ties with Israel and did not recognize it as an official state. Since then, Iran backs Palestine in its conflict with Israel and provides arms to it.
- 1992: The Israeli embassy in Argentina was attacked reportedly by Iran.
- 1994: Attack on the Argentine Israelite Mutual Association in Buenos Aires occurs, reportedly done by Iran.
- Iran is accused of funding the Hamas organization, which is committed to the destruction of Israel. Israel, on the other hand, allegedly supports the People’s Mujahedin Organization of Iran, which seeks to overthrow the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- 2011: Mossad, Israel’s National Intelligence Agency, reportedly attacked an Iranian military base.
- 2012: 4 Iranian nuclear scientists were allegedly killed by Israel.
- Pokhran is a remote location in the Thar Desert region and served as the test site for India’s first underground nuclear weapon , ballistic missiles. Parmanu: The Story of Pokhran is an Indian drama film based on the nuclear bomb test explosions conducted by the Indian Army at Pokhran in 1998.
- The Israeli Declaration of Independence was proclaimed on 14 May 1948 by David Ben-Gurion, the Executive Head of the World Zionist Organization and soon to be the first Prime Minister of Israel. It declared the establishment to be known as the State of Israel, which would come into effect on termination of the British Mandate at midnight that day.
- Ruhollah Khomeini was an Iranian politician, revolutionary, and cleric. He was the founder of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the leader of the 1979 Iranian Revolution, which saw the overthrow of the last Shah of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, and the end of the 2,500-year-old Persian monarchy.
- The New York Times – Mysterious Explosion and Fire Damage Iranian Nuclear Enrichment Facility
- Forbes – Operation Olympic Games, Project X, and the assault on the IT security industry
- Reuters – Israel says ‘not necessarily’ behind all Iran nuclear site incidents
- The Times Of Israel – Israel said bracing for retaliation as Tehran points fingers over nuke site fire
- Express – Iran condemned by West after sending arms to Palestine to fight ‘tumour’ Israel