With MS Dhoni, the “Captain Cool” of India announcing his retirement, let us take a look at his career stats and multiple broken records.
Crux of the Matter
- MS Dhoni is the only captain in history to have won all the major titles of international cricket. These titles include 50-over World Cup, Twenty20 World Cup, IPL title, Champions Trophy, No 1 Test ranking, and Champions League T20 titles.
- After becoming the Captain of team India, Dhoni promoted several young players while dropping several older players, which was viewed as controversial at the time.
- He also increased physical fitness sessions and gave importance to physical fitness in selection.
Comparison With Other Indian Captains
As A Wicket-Keeper
- Dhoni has a total of 829 dismissals as a wicketkeeper, making it the highest number of dismissals for an Indian wicketkeeper.
- He scored 183 not out against Sri Lanka in 2005, which is the highest ever score by a wicketkeeper ever.
- In dismissals, he is only behind Adam Gilchrist of Australia and Mark Boucher of South Africa.
Mark Boucher: 998 dismissals
Adam Gilchrist: 905 dismissals
- Mahi Racing Team India is a Supersport World Championship team founded by Mahendra Singh Dhoni. Telugu actor Akkineni Nagarjuna is also a key member of Mahi Racing Team India.
- Dream11 is a fantasy sports platform and the first Indian gaming company to enter the ‘Unicorn Club’. Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the brand ambassador of Dream 11 and launched the “Dimaag se Dhoni” media campaign during the 2018 IPL.
- The ICC ODI Player of the Year is an annual award presented by the International Cricket Council to the best One Day International player. Dhoni won the award for two consecutive years in 2008 and 2009; and became the first player to win the award twice.
- Business Standard – Mahendra Singh Dhoni bids adieu international cricket: Check key stats here
- Times Now – MS Dhoni or Adam Gilchrist? Former Pakistan captain Sarfaraz Ahmed picks better cricketer
- Yahoo Cricket – 4 captaincy decisions taken by MS Dhoni which helped change Indian cricket
- The Times Of India – Stats: MS Dhoni in numbers
- ESPN Cricinfo – MS Dhoni