With US President Trump being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, let us have a look at some factors behind his nomination. Let us also understand what the Nobel Prize is and how it functions .
Crux of the Matter
Trump For Nobel Peace?
US President Donald Trump was recently nominated for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize for his “contribution for peace between Israel and the United Arab Emirates (UAE)”. He was nominated by Christian Tybring-Gjedde, a Norwegian parliamentarian, who had earlier nominated Trump for the prize in 2019. The previous nomination from Tybring-Gjedde came due to Trump’s work regarding “peace and reconciliation between North and South Korea”.
On 13 August, 2020, Israel and the UAE agreed to establish official relationships with each other, in which Trump acted as a mediator in the deal. Previously, the UAE did not recognize Israel and backed Palestine in its conflict with Israel.
Nobel Prize – What Is It?
Nobel Prize was founded by Alfred Nobel – a scientist who also had interest in business, literature, and several other fields. In 1895, Nobel directed in his will to utilize his wealth for “prizes in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature, and peace”.
Every year, Academicians, scientists, previous Nobel Laureates, politicians, etc nominate candidates for the Prizes. These Nobel Prizes are managed by the following institutes:
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences for Physics and Chemistry.
- Karolinska Institutet for Physiology/Medicine.
- Committee of five persons elected by the Norwegian Parliament for the Peace Prize.
- The Swedish Academy for Literature.
In 1968, Sveriges Riksbank established a Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel. In the following year, the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences was given the task to select Economic Sciences Laureate.
- In a submission not intended to be taken seriously, an antifascist member of the Swedish parliament nominated Adolf Hitler for the Nobel Peace Prize 1939. But the nomination was cancelled and no prize was awarded in that year to anyone for peace.
- Geir Lundestad, Secretary of Norwegian Nobel Committee in 2006 said, “The greatest omission in our 106-year history is undoubtedly that Mahatma Gandhi never received the Nobel Peace prize. Gandhi could do without the Nobel Peace prize, [but] whether the Nobel committee can do without Gandhi is the question”. In 1948 (the year of Gandhi’s death) the Nobel Committee made no award, stating “there was no suitable living candidate”.
- Rabindranath Tagore became in 1913 the first non-European as well as the first lyricist to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. He reshaped Bengali literature and music, as well as Indian art with Contextual Modernism in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
- CNBC – Here are the most controversial Nobel Prize-winners ever
- Livemint – Donald Trump, US president, nominated for Nobel Peace Prize 2021
- The Independent – Map shows where President Barack Obama dropped his 20,000 bombs
- The Intercept – HENRY KISSINGER’S WAR CRIMES ARE CENTRAL TO THE DIVIDE BETWEEN HILLARY CLINTON AND BERNIE SANDERS
- The Nobel Prize – Mahatma Gandhi, the missing laureate
- The Washington Institute – Death of a Symbol: Yasser Arafat Leaves Behind a Complicated Legacy of Nationalism and Terrorism
- Florida Daily – Mike Gravel: The Cambodia Genocide is Part of Henry Kissinger’s Legacy
- Psych Central – The Surprising History of the Lobotomy
- BBC – North Vietnam, 1972: The Christmas bombing of Hanoi