After looking at the praise on new Farm laws of India by the Israel envoy and the history of the 2 nations in the previous century, let us take a look at their relations which have steadily progressed since India officially recognized Israel in 1992.
Crux of the Matter
India-Israel Relations In Recent Decades
- 1991: Israel reportedly provided electronic equipment for the Mig-21 fleet after the traditional supplier Soviet Union collapsed.
- 1992: Official relations established between the 2 nations under Indian PM PV Narasimha Rao.
- 1999: Israel solved India’s deficiency of “targeting equipment” during the Kargil War. It flew technicians to fit ‘Litening targeting pods’ on the Mirage jets of Indian Air Force (IAF), which transformed unguided bombs to “laser-guided munitions”.
India And Israel 21st Century
- 2007: Yona Metzger, former Chief Rabbi of Israel, claimed that “Jews have lived in India for over 2,000 years and have never been discriminated against… [which] is something unparalleled in human history”.
- 2007: Commercial Olive production was initiated in Rajasthan, as 112,000 olive plants were imported from Israel.
Relations between the 2 nations have strengthened since the election of PM Modi in 2014.
- 2015: India abstained from voting in the UN Human Rights Council resolution, which condemned Israel for the 2014 Gaza violence.
- 2015: Pranab Mukherjee became the first Indian President to visit Israel.
- 2017: Narendra Modi became the first Indian Prime Minister to visit Israel. India was Israel’s largest customer of arms in 2017, with the latter being among the top 4 arms suppliers to India in the last 20 years.
- 2019: UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) passed Israel’s resolution to not provide observer status to the Palestinian organization ‘Shahed’ at UN institutions. India was among the nations voting in favour of the resolution, which was a notable change from its neutral position in the Israel-Palestine conflict.
- 2019: India used the ‘Surface-to-air PYthon and DERby’ (SPYDER) “defence missile system” of Israel to shoot down a Pakistani drone at the Gujarat border.
- June 2020: The SPYDER was deployed at the India-China border amidst border conflicts.
- The World Food Programme is the food-assistance branch of the UN and the world’s largest humanitarian organization focused on hunger and food security. The World Food Programme launched its first programmes in 1963 through the Food and Agriculture Organization and the UN General Assembly on a three-year experimental basis, supporting the Nubian population.
- Leopold II was the second King of the Belgians and the owner & absolute ruler of the Congo Free State from 1865 to 1909. Leopold’s administration of the Congo was characterised by atrocities, including torture and murder, resulting from notorious systematic brutality. Modern estimates range from 1 million to 15 million deaths.
- Genocide is the intentional action to destroy a people—usually defined as an ethnic, national, racial, or religious group—in whole or in part. A term coined by Raphael Lemkin in his 1944 book “Axis Rule in Occupied Europe”.
- The Economic Times – India’s new farm laws will empower farmers, help them earn maximum profits: Israeli envoy
- Business Today – COVID-19 testing in less than 30 seconds? India-Israel to soon launch rapid kit
- ORF – Israel’s arms sales to India: Bedrock of a strategic partnership
- The Times Of India – Bundelkhand in UP to use Israel model to manage its water resources, an agreement signed for new project
- Hindustan Times – Israel likely to become India’s largest arms supplier
- The Jerusalem Post – The biggest show on earth
- The Indian Express – How India’s relationship with Israel has been a diplomatic see-saw since 1948
- Business Today – A Growing Olive Branch
- The Print – In a first, India votes in favour of Israel at UN against Palestine human rights body