Let’s know Joe Biden, the US President-elect, his background, his plans regarding immigration, environment, wages and several issues and some quick facts.
Crux of the Matter
- Elected President at the age of 77 – oldest President elected. Biden would be 78 by Inauguration day.
- Reported win of 50.61% total vote and 290 electoral votes (as of 9 Nov).
- Elected in 3rd attempt – previous attempts for 1988 and 2008.
- 2nd Catholic US President – after John F Kennedy.
- 1988 candidacy suspended after plagiarism in speech.
- Against Government intervention in “racial desegregation busing”. Busing: Transportation of students to schools usually outside their “local school districts”.
- Promoted the 1994 Crime Bill, which increased numbers and duration of imprisonments.
Biden has publicly claimed change in opinion on the mentioned issues ever since.
- Elected to the US Senate at the age of 29.
- 1990: Introduced the Violence Against Women Act – passed in 1994.
- Served as Vice President under Barack Obama for 8 years.
- Increasing the minimum wage to $15/hour.
- Expansion of Affordable Care Act (Obamacare).
- Removing tax-cuts for big corporations.
- Increasing income tax rate from 37% to 39.6% (for people earning over $400,000 per year).
- Increasing corporate income tax rate from 21% (currently) to 28%.
- Cancelling $10,000 in student debt.
- Increasing monthly Social Security payments by $200.
- Sanction $2 trillion to “eliminate” US carbon emissions.
- Invest $300 million into the ‘community policing programme’.
- Stricter gun control.
- End travel ban from 13 Muslim-majority/African nations.
- Reunite children separated from parents at the US-Mexico border.
- Immediately rejoin Paris Climate Accord and reverse Trump’s decision to leave the World Health Organization (WHO).
- In the early 70s, Biden decided to run for Senate for the Democratic Party. He defeated his political opponent, J. Caleb Boggs in 1972 and became one of the youngest Senators ever, at age 29.
- In 2016, as vice president, Joe Biden participated in the Oscar gala to announce a performance by Lady Gaga. He talked about the theme of Lady Gaga’s song ‘Til It Happens to You’.
- In 2015 his eldest son, Beau, died from brain cancer; Biden recounted the experience in Promise Me, Dad: A Year of Hope, Hardship, and Purpose (2017).
- Sky News – US Election results: Who is Joe Biden? A profile of the oldest president-elect in history
- BBC – Joe Biden: Where does he stand on key issues?
- Time – How a Joe Biden Presidency Could Change U.S.-India Relations
- MarketWatch – What a Joe Biden presidency means for taxes, health care, housing, student debt — and another COVID-19 stimulus package
- Quartz – Any US president would take India’s side over Kashmir
- Reuters – China unlikely to find Biden a soft touch
- The Indian Express – Explained: What does President-elect Joe Biden mean for India and its relationship with the US?