We are back with another edition of Trivia Thursday. With the US Presidential Elections concluding recently, in this piece, we will look at some really interesting facts around US Presidents and Presidency.
Crux of the Matter
Here are some interesting trivia around US Presidents. Happy reading!
1. The famous Marvel comics character – Miles Morales, who becomes spiderman after the death of Peter Parker, is partially inspired by Barack Obama.
2. Tikrit, an Iraqi town, has a giant monument of a shoe in honor of the journalist who threw his footwear at George W. Bush in 2009.
3. Busshu-suru is a Japanese phrase which means “to do the bush thing”. The phrase was coined in 1992 when George H. W. Bush fainted after vomiting on former Japanese PM, Kiichi Miyazawa’s lap.
4. Teddy Bears were first made after taking inspiration from a cartoon made in 1902, in which the then president Theodore ‘Teddy’ Roosevelt, refused to hunt a tied bear. The cartoonist drew a cute bear to satirize the whole incident and as a result, Teddy bears became popular within children.
5. Liberia decided to name its capital city, Monrovia after the fifth president of the United States, James Monroe because of his prominent support for Liberia’s colonization.
6. When in the Navy, Richard Nixon had the best poker player in his unit teach him how to play the game. Within only a few months, Nixon had won around $6,000 in poker games, which he used to fund his first congressional campaign.
7. The Curse of Tippecanoe is the supposed pattern of deaths in office of presidents of the United States elected in years that are evenly divisible by 20, since the 1840 election.
Ronald Reagan (1980) and George W. Bush (2000) both survived their terms in office, despite an assassination attempt.