Recently, India’s Netflix series Delhi Crime won the International Emmy for best drama series. Moreover, Malayalam film Jallikattu has become India’s official entry for Oscars. In this week’s Trivia Thursday, we bring you some interesting trivia around Indian cinema at some of the world’s most prestigious stages.
Crux of the Matter
- 1937 – Sant Tukaram, directed by Vishnupant Govind Damle and Sheikh Fattelal won a special prize at the Venice Film Festival. It became the first film to get international recognition.
- 1946 – Neecha Nagar, directed by Chetan Anand is the first and only Indian film to win Palme d’Or, which is the award for best film in Cannes Film Festival.
- 1957 – Satyajit Ray’s directed Aparajito won the Golden Lion award for the best film at Venice Film Festival, becoming the first Indian film to do so. Mira Nair directed Monsoon Wedding won the same award in 2001.
- 1963 – For her role in Saat Pake Bandha, Suchitra Sen won the Best Actress award at the Moscow Film Festival, becoming the first Indian actress to receive an international film award.
- 1983 – Bhanu Athaiya was the first Indian to win an Oscar. She won the award for the Best Costume Design for the film ‘Gandhi’.
- 1988 – Caméra d’Or awardee, Salaam Bombay! becomes the second film after Mother India to be nominated for the Academy Awards for the best international feature film. Lagaan, in 2001, went on to become the 3rd Indian film to be nominated. Salaam Bombay! Is also among the list of “The Best 1,000 Movies Ever Made” by The New York Times.
- 1992 – Satyajit Ray, director of films like Aparajito and Pather Panchali, was awarded an Oscar for Lifetime Achievement. The award was presented by another legendary actress, Audrey Hepburn.
- 1992 – Plat drum is a World Music album which won a Grammy in 1992. It features Indian classical music maestros Zakir Hussain and T.H. “Vikku” Vinayakram.
- 2009 – Along with AR Rahman and Gulzar, Tanvi Shah won a Grammy for her song Jai Ho, becoming the first Indian woman to win an Emmy. AR Rahman became the first Asian to win two Oscars in a single year. He won the award for his original score and the original song Jai Ho in Slumdog Millionaire. Gulzar, too, was awarded for providing the lyrics in Jai Ho.
- 2015 – Rickey Keg and Wouter Kellerman’s Winds of Samsara won a Grammy Award for Best New Age Album.
- 2016 – For her work in Quantico, Priyanka Chopra won the People’s Choice Award for Favourite Actress in a New TV Series. She was the first South Asian actress to win this prestigious award.
- 2020 – Delhi Crime became the first Indian television show to win an International Emmy for best drama series.
Ravi Shankar has 5 Grammys to his name:
- 1967: Best Chamber Music Performance – West Meets East (with Yehudi Menuhin)
- 1973: Album of the Year – The Concert for Bangladesh (with George Harrison)
- 2002: Best World Music Album – Full Circle: Carnegie Hall 2000
- 2013: Best World Music Album – The Living Room Sessions Pt. 1
- 2013: Lifetime Achievement Award
To read out previous week’s Trivia Thursday around No Shave November, click here.