The most awaited Union Budget 2021 is here! With six new pillars introduced this time, let us understand the first pillar of health and wellbeing in this story.
Crux of the Matter
Pillar 1: Health and Well-Being
KEY AREAS: Preventive, Curative & Wellbeing
Total Outlay: ₹ 2.23 Lakh Crore,
Increased by 137% as compared to previous year.
PM Aatma Nirbhar Swasth Bharat Yojna
Outlay: ₹64,180 crores over 6 years
– Major Interventions Include: Setting up of 15 Health Emergency Operation Centers and 2 mobile hospitals
– Expansion of the Integrated Health Information Portal to all States/UTs.
– To support 17,788 rural and 11,024 urban Health and Wellness Centers
– Setting up of a national institution for One Health, a Regional Research Platform for WHO South East Asia Region
MISSION POSHAN 2.0 :
– To adopt an intensified strategy to improve nutritional outcomes across 112 Aspirational Districts.
Universal Coverage Of Water Supply
JAL Jeevan Mission (Urban) :
Outlay: ₹ 2,87,000 crores over a period of 5 years.
– Universal water supply in all 4,378 Urban Local Bodies.
– 2.86 crores household tap connections,
– Liquid waste management in 500 AMRUT cities
Swachch Bharat, Swasth Bharat
Urban Swachh Bharat Mission 2.0
Outlay: ₹ 1,41,678 crores over a period of 5 years
– Faecal sludge management and waste water treatment
– Source segregation of Garbage
– Reduction in air pollution & single use plastic.
Voluntary Vehicle Scrapping Policy:
– In order to face out old an environmentally unfit vehicles
– Vehicles to undergo fitness tests in automated fitness center after,
- 20 years in case of personal vehicles.
- 15 years in case of commercial vehicles.
– Covid Vaccine: To be provided with ₹35,000 Crores, with further funds to be provided if required.
– Pneumococcal Vaccine: To be rolled out across the country , averting 50k child deaths annually.
- Ministry of Jal Shakti is a ministry under the Government of India which was formed in May 2019 under the second Modi ministry. This was formed by merging of two ministries; Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation and Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- At 2 hours and 41 minutes, the budget speech was the longest ever delivered by a Finance Minister of India. Nirmala Sitharaman is also only the second woman to present the budget for a second time after Indira Gandhi.
- The practice of presenting budgets and fiscal policy to parliament was initiated by Sir Robert Walpole in his position as Chancellor, in an attempt to restore the confidence of the public after the chaos unleashed by the collapse of the South Sea Bubble in 1720.