Last week DM Shailesh Kumar Yadav of Tripura was in news for allegedly stopping a wedding post-curfew time. However, several questions have arisen over the incident regarding breaking of Covid protocols by both civilians and politicians. In that light, let’s look at what happened and some aspects surrounding it.
Crux of the Matter
Agartala of Tripura has been in news over a marriage occurring after 10pm curfew. The controversy erupted over the handling of the issues by District Magistrate Shailesh Kumar Yadav.
Chain Of Events
- A wedding was taking place allegedly after 10pm at Manikya Court in Agartala.
- DM Shailesh Kumar Yadav, along with several policemen, entered the venue.
I apologise if any individual or group is pained by last night’s action. But what was done last night was only for the benefit and well being of people. My aim was not to pain or humiliate anyone.DM Yadav to the Press later
- Several cases of harsh treatment by Police have been reported.
However, this was a notable case due to a District Magistrate physically thrashing people as per the alleged video.
- Some people have complained why such treatment is not applied on politicians.
- Then again, the side of the DM has been defended with argument that civilians cannot abandon their duties though the politicians do so.