Ed Sheeran, who definitely doesn’t need an introduction, recently announced his tie up with a club for sponsoring their jersey. This is not new, for many celebs have not only done that but also have invested in sports teams (yes, that also includes IPL). In that way, let’s look at some celebs from across different genres having investment in sports.
Crux of the Matter
English club Ipswich town recently made a ‘perfect’ announcement: singer Ed Sheeran will be their shirt sponsor for both men’s and women’s team.
Ipswich Town is a club in 3rd tier League One i.e., 2 divisions below Premier League. Artist Ed Sheeran is renowned for tracks like “Perfect”, “Shape of You”, “Photograph”, etc.
Sheeran Not The Only One
Most recently, metal band Iron Maiden had collaborated with West Ham for their away kit in 2019. However, several artists have not only sponsored jerseys but also invested in teams.
Stars Co-Owning Sports Teams
- Justin Timberlake (Singer): Memphis Grizzlies (NBA Basketball)
- Sir Elton John (Singer/Pianist): Watford FC (English Championship Football)
- Bill Maher (Comedian/Political Commentator): New York Mets (Major League Baseball)
- Jennifer Lopez (Singer): Miami Dolphins (National Football League)
That club also has Fergie (Singer) as co-owner.
- Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney: Wrexham (National League [Wales])
Of course, India’s most known example is the renowned IPL, with celeb owners like
- Juhi Chawla and Shah Rukh Khan: Kolkata Knight Riders (IPL)
- Preity Zinta: Punjab Kings (IPL)
However, over time Indian celebs have diversified across different sports:
- Abhishek Bachchan: Jaipur Pink Panthers (Pro Kabaddi League)
He also owns Chennaiyin FC (ISL).
- Ranbir Kapoor: Mumbai City FC (ISL)
- Sonakshi Sinha: United Singhs (World Kabaddi League)
- John Abraham: Delhi Waveriders (Hockey India League)
He also owns Northeast United FC (ISL).
- Akshay Kumar: Khalsa Warriors (World Kabaddi League)
- Former President of USA, George W. Bush has a minor stake in the professional baseball team Texas Rangers. Bush funded the team with $500,000 for his share.
- Hollywood popstar Usher participated in a group purchase of the Cleveland Cavaliers. He made the purchase of his share of the NBA team in 2005, for $9 million.
- Being from Toronto, Aubrey Graham more commonly known by the name of Drake supports the Toronto Raptors. He was once allowed to announce the team’s starting lineup.
- ESPN – Ed Sheeran becomes Ipswich shirt sponsor, but which other music icons did the same?
- The Guardian – Run for the balls: West Ham team up with Iron Maiden for new kit
- DNA – 13 Bollywood Stars who own Sports Teams
- The Richest – Ten Celebrity Sports Team Owners
- Ranker – 17 Celebrities Who Own Pro Sports Teams