In its worst escalation in years, the conflict between Israel and Palestine has caused severe damage, with most casualties coming through air strikes. In that light, let’s quickly go through the events of the recent conflict, which, as per UN warning, could escalate into a “full-scale war”.
Crux of the Matter
- April 2021: Protests began at the Al-Aqsa Mosque over Israeli plan to evict Palestinians from East Jerusalem.
- 7th May: The protests became violent as Palestinians reportedly attacked Israeli police with stones, fireworks, etc. Israeli police retaliated with force, injuring 200+ Palestinians.
- 8th and 9th May: The violent clashes between Palestinian protesters and Israeli police continued.
- 10th May: After threat by Hamas, a fundamentalist group demanding Islamist Palestinian state, 200 rockets were fired on Israel by them.
- 12th May: Israel has claimed that over 1,050 rockets have been fired on it from Gaza strip.
In the strikes on Israel, an Indian woman named Soumya Santosh was among the people killed.
- 12th May: Israel retaliated with air strikes. The death count from those air strikes stands at 43 as of 12th May, with the fight between the two groups continuing so far.