The web series TVF Aspirants has been in headlines for its relatable content and execution. The YouTube chanel TVF has released some binge-worthy series in the past as well. Did you know that The Viral Fever (TVF) is considered to be the pioneer of web series in India? Let us find out a bit more about them.
Crux of the Matter
When Was It Founded?
The Viral Fever (TVF), an Indian YouTube channel was started in 2010 by TVF Media Labs. The founder of TVF is Arunabh Kumar. It is currently owned by Contagious Online Media Pvt. Ltd. and at present has 9.6 mn subscribers.
First Original Show
- In Feb 2012, the channel released its first original show titled ‘Rowdies 9– Sab Q-tiyappa hai!’.
- The show was a spoof of the famous show Roadies aired on MTV.
- The video crossed over 1 million views within 5 days of its release.
Web Series’ By The Channel
- The first web series by the channel ‘Permanent Roommates‘ in Oct 2014. It became the second most viewed long-term web series in the world by 2015.
- The second series was ‘Pitchers’ released in June 2015.
- Some other famous web series include Bachelors, Fathers, Kota Factory, Panchayat.
TVF’s Own Platform
- In 2015, TVF launched its own online streaming platform called TVFPlay.
- The last 2 episodes of Pitchers were launched there and crossed 10 lakh hits within 2 days.
- The traffic due to these episodes had also crashed the platform for around 3 hours.
- In 2016, Tiger Global Management invested $10 mn in TVFPlay and till May 2019, total $21 million had been invested.
- Arunabh Kumar, the founder of TVF was accused of sexual harassment in March 2017.
- The claim was made anonymously via Medium after which several other women also came forward.
- On 16th June, 2017, Arunabh Kumar stepped down from the post of the CEO.
- The position was then taken by Dhawal Gusain.
Launch Of Other Youtube Channels
- Aspirants is the latest web series rolled out by the channel.
- The show is based on the lives of UPSC aspirants and their struggles.
- Like its other series, this one has also gone viral and is garnering a lot of praise.
- The Chief Content Officer and Head of The Viral Fever Originals, Sameer Saxena was a jury member of the 46th International Emmy Awards. He is the creator and director of web-series like “Permanent Roommates”, “TVF Tripling” and”Yeh Meri Family”.
- Arunabh Kumar, the founder of TVF initially joined Red Chillies Entertainment and worked as an assistant under Farah Khan. He was the Assistant Director of Om Shanti Om.
- As of 14th May 2021, TVF has 9.68 million subscribers. Bhuvan Bam is more commonly known by the name of his youtube channel “BB Ki Vines” is the first Indian individual to cross 10 million subscribers on youtube.