DRDO, India’s premier organization for defence research, has a rich history of indigenous innovation in the field. However, amidst Covid pandemic, it has upped its innovations to help citizens against the disease. With its most recent innovation being the anti-Covid drug, let’s look at that and some other contributions.
Crux of the Matter
Recent Drug Approval
DGCI recently gave emergency approval to anti-Covid drug developed by DRDO. The drug was developed in collaboration with:
- Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences of DRDO.
- Dr Reddy’s Laboratories (DRL), Hyderabad.
The drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG) is to be taken orally after mixing in water.
[The drug] helps in faster recovery of hospitalised patients and reduces supplemental oxygen dependence. Higher proportion of patients treated with 2-DG showed RT-PCR negative conversion in COVID patients.PIB release
Other DRDO Innovations To Fight Covid
The other innovations, initiatives and measures undertaken by the organisation to help the citizens fight the virus include:
COVSACK (COVID Sample Collection Kiosk)
- Patient goes inside kiosk.
- Sample taken from outside with shielding screen and built-in gloves.
- Completely automatic disinfection.
DRUVS (Defence Research Ultraviolet Sanitiser)
- Contactless cabinet as working on sensors.
- 360 degree exposure to objects inside.
- Useful for sanitising laptops, phones, papers, etc.
Medical Oxygen Plants (MOP)
- Based on oxygen generation system used in fighter aircraft Tejas.
- Capacity: 1,000 litres oxygen/minute.
- Catering to 190 patients at a time.
- 2 plants set up in Delhi – 500 more expected around the country.
- Most notably, DRDO has set up several Covid hospitals across country.
- These beds have oxygen support, while some are kept with ventilators.
Some of the cities where the hospitals are present (along with number of beds) is as follows:
- Ahmedabad: 900 beds.
- Delhi: 500 beds.
- Patna: 500 beds.
- Lucknow: 500 beds.
Several more such hospitals around the country expected soon.
- BrahMos is the fastest supersonic cruise missile in the world. DRDO along with Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyeniya created the ‘BrahMos’ supersonic missiles.
- Siachen Glacier is the world’s highest battlefield, controlled by the Indian army. It is at a height of 5400 metres above sea level.
- The motto of DRDO is “Balasya Mulam Vigyanam”. It means “Strength’s Origin is in Knowledge”.
- PIB – DCGI approves anti-COVID drug developed by DRDO for emergency use
- The Hindu Business Line – DRDO develops kiosk for Covid-19 sample collection
- WION – DRDO develops UV sanitisation system ‘DRUVS’ for electronic gadgets, currency and papers
- India Today – DRDO installs 2 oxygen plants in Delhi, each can generate 1,000 litre O2 every min