Donald Trump’s impeachment saga came to an end as the Senate acquitted him of the charges. 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed was sentenced for terror funding. In the Delhi Assembly elections, Aam Aadmi Party received 62 seats and formed majority. Supreme Court of India pronounced that the State has the autonomy to decide upon reservation in government jobs, given it has data to substantiate the under-representation of that particular class. India’s Principal Economic Advisor Sanjeev Sanyal, at a talk at Gujarat University, retold the story of Indian freedom struggle from the viewpoint of the less-discussed armed revolutionaries. Have a quick roundup of what happened in India and across the globe by clicking the top stories of the week:
- End To Impeachment Saga Of Donald Trump – After US President Donald Trump was impeached in December 2019 on the charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress; he was found not guilty in his impeachment trial with the final vote of 48-52.
- Apex Court Rules Job Reservation Not A Fundamental Right – Supreme Court in a decisive judgment announced that the State has the discretion of deciding upon reservation, given it has substantiating data. It pronounced that Job Promotions are not a fundamental right.
- Exclusive: Retelling Of Indian History By Sanjeev Sanyal – At a talk at Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, India’s Principal Economic Advisor, Sanjeev Sanyal spoke about the buried history of Indian revolutionaries whose contribution to the freedom struggle is often overlooked.
- AAP’s Hattrick As It Sweeps Delhi Again – In the recently concluded Delhi elections, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) secured majority with 62 seats, whereas the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) secured the remaining 8 seats. CM Arvind Kejriwal will continue to be at the helm of National Capital.
- Ahead Of FATF Meet, Hafiz Saeed Sentenced For 11 Years For Terror Funding – LeT founder Hafiz Saeed has been convicted by Pakistan’s court under 2 cases of terror funding registered by the Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD) and has been sentenced to Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat jail for 11 years.
Coronavirus has continued to create havoc worldwide with more than 30,000 suspected cases and 500+ cases of death. Donald Trump and Co. had sent a Peace Proposal to resolve Israel – Palestine conflict. India’s Economic Survey 2019-20 has given a new barometer for Indian Economy, Thalinomics, which simply means the economics of a food plate in India. In Budget 2020, Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman announced massive personal tax cuts. PM Modi had announced the formation of temple trust for the construction of Ram Temple at Ayodhya. Have a quick roundup of what happened in India and across the globe by clicking the top stories of the week:
- CoronaVirus – A Chinese Pandemic Storming The World – The Chinese born 2019-nCoV, which quickly became famous as Novel Coronavirus worldwide, led cities to be sealed off, caused airlines to cancel flights to and from China and disrupted global supply chains.
- US’ Israel-Palestine Proposal An Opportunity For Russia And India? – India has joined this geopolitical game by asking conflict-hit nations to accept US’s proposal while Russia holds talks with Middle East nations.
- To Understand Indian Economy, Thalinomics At Rescue – Chief Economic Advisor (CEA) Krishnamurthy Subramaniam presented this year’s Economic Survey assessing the country’s economic, regulatory, governance, and social situation. In order to effectively understand the effects of economic policies, he has coined an indigenous term “Thalinomics“.
- Budget 2020: A Demand-Side Measure To Spur Economy? – Major reforms like the reduction of Personal Tax rates, change in Dividend Distribution Tax, reforms in Agriculture, Education, Infra and other sectors, seemed like a step towards the necessary Demand-side measure to spur economic growth.
- PM Modi Announces Ram Temple Trust Ahead Of Delhi Elections – PM Narendra Modi, in Parliament, announced that the Cabinet has given its nod to the formation of the Shri Ram Janambhoomi Teerth Shetra.
Citizenship Amendment Act remained a hot topic in the last week with Sharjeel Imam sparking controversy with his speech at AMU. On the international front, EU Parliament held talks on CAA and Jammu & Kashmir. The world has been engulfed in Coronavirus, taking lives of more than 200 people worldwide. Have a quick roundup of what happened in India and across the globe by clicking the top stories of the week: