South Korean researchers have developed a phototherapy technology that can increase the efficiency of reducing the pain of chemotherapy and minimizing side effects after treatment. Let’s see how they have succeeded in achieving this medical feat and see if cancer can be cured with just one injection.
Crux of the Matter
What Is Chemotherapy?
It is a medical treatment that uses one or more anti-cancer drugs as part of a standardized regimen of making the patients cancer-free or prolonging their life by reducing symptoms.
What New Method Have Researchers Found Now?
A research team from South Korea’s KU-KIST have developed a cancer-targeted phototherapeutic agent that promises complete elimination of cancer cells without side effects.
How Is This Possible?
It involves only one injection and repeated phototherapy, which involves exposure to fluorescent light bulbs or other sources of light like halogen lights, sunlight, and LEDs.
What Have They Used?
Peptides, that selectively target cancer tissues and assemble themselves in a specific order only for tumour removal. On being injected into a living body, it is activated by the body temperature. Thus, eradicates cancer cells without affecting surrounding normal cells.
Have They Tested This?
Yes. The agent was injected into a mouse model implanted with a tumor, and the photosensitizer was stored around the tumor and was continuously released for 2 to 4 weeks.
No toxicity was found to destroy the surrounding tissues and major organs, even with repeated exposure to light, making it safe for human usage.
Other Conditions Treatable By Phototherapy
- Skin disorders
- Some cancers and precancers
- Sleep disorders
- Hyperbilirubinemia Jaundice or jaundice in babies
- Skin-related cancer symptoms
- The 62nd element on the periodic table is Samarium, which is used to treat a range of cancers, including lung cancer. And hence the famous show, Breaking Bad, has a total of 62 episodes over 5 seasons.
- Radiation therapy or radiotherapy is a therapy using ionizing radiation, generally as part of cancer treatment to control or kill malignant cells and normally delivered by a linear accelerator. Radiation therapy may be curative in a number of types of cancer if they are localized to one area of the body.
- The word chemotherapy was coined in the early 1900s by Paul Ehrlich as meaning any use of chemicals to treat any disease, such as the use of antibiotics (antibacterial chemotherapy). Ehrlich was not optimistic that effective chemotherapy drugs would be found for the treatment of cancer.