The Indian toy industry began with the manufacturing of traditional toys such as whistles, wooden carts, and unbranded plush dolls, but with the increase in demand for international brands and due to the influence of pop culture and social media the Indian toy industry is transitioning.
Crux of the Matter
Prominently Manufacured Toys
Some of the most popular types of toys are licensed toys that are manufactured globally from popular shows and Disney animated movies like Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol, Frozen, DC, and Marvel Cinematic Universe. Plush toys are among the most popular categories of toys for children as they are considered safe and for all ages.
Other popular categories include sports and outdoor play toys, puzzles, board games, construction and building toys, and electronic toys.
Largest Toy Manufacturers in India
Geographically, the largest toy market currently is in Maharashtra, followed by, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Gujarat, and Delhi.
- Mattel’s subsidiary, US-based Fischer-Price is among top 10 toy companies in India. It manufactures more than 5,000 different types of toys and also manufactures products for babies like booster seats, strollers, baby car seats, etc.
- Started in 1968, Mattel’s Hot Wheels is also a leading toy company in India which produces a collector’s item which is popular among children as well as adults.
- Funskool (India) Ltd was established in 1987, at Chennai, Tamil Nadu. It is a joint venture between US-based Hasbro Inc. and MRF Ltd in India. They have more than 20 retail stores across the country and two factories in Goa and Ranipet.
- MEGA Bloks, K’nex, Masoom Playmates, Simba Toys, etc are some of the other notable toy players in India
If you want to have a look at statistics around the toy industry, read this now: Indian And Global Toy Industry
- Funskool (India) Ltd. is an Indian toy manufacturing company founded in 1987 with headquarters in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. In 2014, Funskool surpassed Mattel to become the market leader in the mid to premium range of the Indian toy market. Funskool has published the Monopoly board game in India since 1987.
- Hamleys is a British multinational toy retailer, one of the oldest and largest in the world. The chain has 15 outlets in the United Kingdom and also has more than 90 franchises worldwide. In May 2019, Reliance Industries announced that it had acquired Hamleys for £67.96 million (around ₹620 crores) in an all-cash deal.
- Kondapalli Toys are the toys made of wood in Kondapalli, Andhra Pradesh. Bommala Colony translates to Toys Colony in Kondapalli is the place where the art of crafting takes place. It was registered as one of the geographical indication handicrafts from Andhra Pradesh.
- The Times of India – India’s Toy Industry Can’t Meet Domestic Demand, Expectation
- SME Times – Current Scenario of Indian Toy Industry and It’s Future Trends
- IMARC Group – Indian Toys Market: Industry Trends, Share, Size, Growth, Opportunity and Forecast 2020-2025
- Statista – Toys and Games
- Bizvibe.com – Indian Toy Industry Factsheet
- Statista – Toy Industry – Statistics & Facts