As per official statement by the tech giant this week, the new Apple iPhone 12 lineup will ship without wall chargers or Lightning EarPods in the box. Let’s see how this will help in cutting carbon emissions released via cars on roads.
Crux of the Matter
How Will They Do It?
By discontinuing the wall charger and lightning EarPods for the new iPhone 12 series. In fact, Apple Watch Series 3 and 6, SE edition and the Nike models will also remove power adapter from their boxes.
Will This Be Applicable For Older Models?
Yes. On Apple’s official site, listings for the iPhone XR, iPhone 11, and 2020 iPhone SE now say that they ship an Iphone with the only accessory being the USB-C to Lightning cable in the box.
Will This Affect Apple Users?
Not so much. It is estimated that there are already 700 million Lightning Earpods and 2 billion Apple power adapters, with existing Apple fans in the world.
How Is This A ‘Green’ Move?
The move means it has to consume fewer raw materials for each iPhone sold as it allows for a smaller retail box i.e 70% more units can fit on a single shipping pallet. Overall, Apple estimates the changes will cut over 2 million metric tons of carbon emissions annually, which is equivalent of removing 450,000 cars from the road per year.
What Do The Tech Experts Say?
The move has been met with outrage online, with some suggesting that it has more to do with the company increasing its margins and decreasing its shipping costs, rather than protecting the environment. Venture Capitalist M.G. Siegler says,
“Here’s the breakdown of why Apple is doing this, in the order of importance, as I see it:
1) Margins: The next iPhone’s margins, with ‘5G’ components, and the ongoing Covid-19, will alter the supply chain immensely. The charger may not seem like a huge margin savings, but it adds up in aggregate.
2) Shipping: Apple can make these boxes more svelte, they’ll pack more in.
3) Transitions: Make customers ready for the wireless charging revolution.
4) Environment: This is on the list. But it’s the last item on the list.”
Plans To Continue Being The Richest?
In the second half of 2020, Apple had hit the $2 trillion market cap and became the world’s most valuable company by surpassing Saudi Aramco’s $1.78 tn market cap. Apple also became the first US public traded company to have a $2 trillion market cap. It’s valuation doubled in just 2 years.
One Mobile Charger For All
Since the year 2009, the European Commission has been trying to convince tech companies to adopt a common charging method for smartphones, to reduce the waste that comes with every new gadget. So in 2018, Apple, Google, Lenovo, LG, Motorola, Samsung and Sony all voluntarily agreed to standardize on some form of USB-C charging by 2021.
Read More: Apple iPhone 12: Most Powerful Phone Yet?
- If you check Apple’s site right now, the time set on every device will be 9:41. This is so because the first iPhone was unveiled at 9:41 and since then, every apple advertisement shows 9:41 as time on all of its devices.
- After the release of iPhone X, Samsung released a series of short advertisements under the marketing campaign ‘ingenious’. The campaign was simply made to mock Apple and the sales representatives at Apple retail stores, whom Apple calls “Geniuses”.
- Apple Park is the corporate headquarters of Apple Inc., located in Cupertino, California, United States. Its scale and circular groundscraper design, by Norman Foster, have earned the structure a media nickname “the spaceship”.