India recently got elected in the UN ECOSOC for the term of 2022-24. In that light, let us know more about this UN body which is at the centre of sustainable development and also acts as forum for discussions on global issues.
Crux of the Matter
On 8th June, India was elected to the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for the 2022-24 term along with Oman, Afghanistan and Kazakhstan in the Asia- Pacific States category.
- In 1945, the UN charter established The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
- ECOSOC is one of the 6 principal organs of the United Nations.
- The 54-member council promotes sustainable development in social, economic and environmental dimensions across the World.
- The General Assembly elects the 54 members of the council each year for 3-year terms that overlap.
Seat Allocation In ECOSOC
Current Position Of India In UN
Meanwhile, India is serving as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council for the 2021-22 term. In Aug 2021, India will take over the Presidency of this 15-nation UN body.
- Along with Italy, China is home to the maximum number (65) of UNESCO World Heritage sites in the world. Some of the frequently visited sites include The Great Wall of China, Temple of Heaven, Forbidden City and the Summer Palace.
- India was first elected as a non-permanent member of the UN Security Council in 1950. Since then, India has been elected eight times as a member of the UN Security Council.