Here are life partners turned parents turned business partners – the Alaghs who founded Mama Earth. Let’s look at their growth story of making it a ₹500 Crore Brand.
Crux of the Matter
The Birth Story
When in 2016, the duo Ghazal & Varun Alagh failed to find any safe products for their newborn, it left them not just worried but heavily disappointed. Well, it was the same disappointment that led these parents to turn into entrepreneurs & started the venture, ‘Mama Earth’.
About Mama Earth
It’s the first Indian company to have toxin & chemical-free products made entirely from natural ingredients. The aim is to reduce parental stress by perennial improvement & innovation to their products. Headquartered at Gurugram.
Ghazal Alagh (Chief Mama)
Previously a corporate trainer now heads a team of 200 moms that looks after the product cycle – right from ideation to conceptualization to final launch.
Varun Alagh (Chief Dad)
Known for the brand management expertise in the FMCG industry, he has previously worked with Coca Cola & Hindustan Unilever.
What Is So Different?
Mama Earth is Asia’s first brand to get the MadeSafe certification for its toxin-free products. The raw materials they use are:
- ISO certified
- Compliant with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP)
- Not genetically modified
Targeted to young parents – connected with 500 mom bloggers. Lean Innovation Cycle:
- Focused to introduce, learn and scale up the successful products quickly.
- Allows customization of products.
- Makes them more market-relevant.
The Success Ladder
Grew at more than 400% in previous FY, touching ₹500 crore mark in less than four years of its inception. It was also among the fastest-growing Indian companies.
New Product Developments
While Mama Earth uses natural ingredients, Derma Co employs scientific methods. Prescribes Advanced Clinical Formulations through the usage of AI to solve skin problems.
- Cutthroat competition from mighty FMCG brands when opting for physical presence.
- Providing high quality, safe products at a reasonable price.
- Made Safe provides comprehensive human health and ecosystem-focused certification for nontoxic products across store aisles, from baby to personal care to household and beyond. The MADE SAFE seal literally means that a product is made with safe ingredients, without toxic chemicals known to harm our health.
- Mamaearth plants a tree for every order placed on its website. The process is carried out with the help of the SankalpTaru Foundation, an IT-enabled NGO. Till now, Mamaearth has planted more than 55,000 saplings. (https://mamaearth.in/plant)
- A toxin is a harmful substance produced within living cells or organisms. The term was first used by organic chemist Ludwig Brieger, derived from the word toxic.