Every year, Superman Day is observed on the 12th of June. As a tribute to the “Man of Steel”, in this week’s Trivia Thursday we have covered some very interesting and unknown facts about Superman!
Crux of the Matter
In this week’s Trivia Thursday, let us have a look at some interesting facts about Superman!
- Jerry Siegel, who along with Joe Shuster and Wayne Boring created Superman, has also created other characters for the Detective Comics (DC) like Lex Luthor, Superboy, Jor-El and more. He also created Superman’s love interest, Lois Lane.
- The Daily Planet where Superman and Lois Lane worked, was founded by a newspaper publisher, Joshua Meriwheter in 1775. It is headquartered in Metropolis, US.
- Superman first appeared in 1938 in the first issue of Action Comics. The original comic book was recently sold on eBay for more than $3,207,852 USD and became the only comic book to ever sell over $3 millions.
- Marco Zorzin (Brazil) has the largest collection of Superman memorabilia which consists of 1,518 individual items. He has also changed his middle name to ‘Superman’.
- George Reeves played the role of the first Superman in ‘Superman and the Mole Men’, which was released in 1951. He also played the role of Superman in the 1952–1958 television program ‘Adventures of Superman’ which had 104 episodes.
- The 15-foot-tall statue of Superman at the Superman Square in Metropolis, Illinois is the largest Superman statue in the world. A statue of Lois Lane is located nearby.
- Krypton, the planet from which Superman belongs, was destroyed after the red supergiant star, Rao, became a supernova. This obliterated the whole species on the planet.
- The hideout of Superman is called the Fortress of Solitude. It was destroyed by Lex Luthor in the Detective Comics in 2008.
Take a look at our last week’s Trivia Thursday here: Trivia Thursday: Intriguing Facts About Bicycles